Sunday, March 20, 2011

2 Kale Soups & Raspberry Vanilla Cupcakes

Kale is highly nutritious filled with antioxidants and is also an anti-inflammatory food. So when I notice we haven't been having enough greens in our diet I turn to kale. There is a ton of ways you can make it and I have been trying some of the recipes I have found online out. Here is the first two I tried this time. I will have more to come though. In the past I have also posted about Kale & Potato Soup & Kale and Potato Enchiladas. 

Sausage and Kale Soup
This is one recipe I loved from the Martha Stewart Website. She has a whole list of kale recipes and this has been my favorite. 
 Here are my simple & quick changes I made to make it vegan. So Simple.


  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

  • 1 onion, diced

  • 2 garlic cloves, minced

  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes

  • 5 potatoes (1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks

  • 1 1/2 Boxes of No Chicken Broth By Imagine or Veg stock of your choice

  • 1 Bunch kale (12 ounces), stemmed and shredded

  • 1 Package Light Life Veggies Sausage, Pre-Cooked before you add it to the soup. You could use Tofurky sausage as well. 


  • Read more at Marthastewart.com: Sausage-and-Kale Soup - Martha Stewart Recipes 


    This was also from the Martha Stewart Website. It turned out ok. But It wasn't one of my faves.
    It would be a good soup when your sick. It kinda reminds me of a "chicken" soup type soup. But with an extra boost of Nutrition!!! So I will have it next time I get sick... But with some added pasta. The left overs I used as pasta topping :)


    The Changes I made to this soup recipe was that I used No chick broth by Imagine and No Parm Cheese. Oyeah and I forgot to buy bread, so no bread...
    Cupcakes for My Mom's B-day! Yum.
    The Joy of vegan baking Vanilla Cupcakes! Yum.
    Homemade Raspberry Sauce for the Cupcakes. This sauce reminds me of the sauce that is in those Non Vegan  swirl cakes in the cookie section of stores. It was so good and I had a lot left over. So I have been adding it to
    I used this recipe for Strawberry filling minus the soy milk. When it was cooked down quite I bit I started adding powdered sugar to the raspberries because they are more sour/bitter then strawberries and take alot more sugar. So I just kept adding extra heaping tsps of Powdered sugar till it was a good taste for me. Probably atleast 8 heaping tsp.

    http://dulcedoblog.blogspot.com link above.Frosting
    Adapted from a recipe by Cheryl at The Cupcake Bakeshop
    1 cup butter, room temperature
    6-8 cups sifted powdered sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1/4 cup light vanilla soy milk
    Vanilla Cupcakes from The Joy of Vegan Baking. With some Fudge icing and shredded chocolate.

    These are the same vanilla cupcakes from The Joy of Vegan baking with the Raspberry Glaze under the icing. With Raspberry Vanilla "Butter" Creme. John and I Loved these! I added a little to much "Butter" to the frosting so it kept melting... oops. But it was so good. I used two tubs of Premaid vegan icing and then added 2 sticks of Vegan butter. It was really good but wouldn't hold shape.  Plus I added some Raspberry sauce to the frosting. Next time I will drizzle the raspberry sauce over the cupcakes to make them super cute! And fill them.



    No comments: