Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Dinner at My parents house

I actually cooked today! and I had fun doing it. For the most part. I did however kill cookies... oops. Don't know exactly why they did turn out. I have been wanting to try these cookies since I purchased this book a while back and was just waiting for the right moment. Vegan Cookies Invade your cookie jar has alot of cookies that look so yummy. But I was specially looking forward to the Lazy Samoas (Toasted Coconut Chocolate Cookies) on Page 173-174. The recipe said that the batter should be very thick. Mine for some reason wasn't. I told John before I even put them on the baking sheet that I thought it needed more flour. But I didn't add it. So they spread completely out and ruined.... Good thing I didn't melt the chocolate. But I will definitely give these another try! Everything else turned out nice. We had Tofurky ( Johns choice), Sausage stuffing, Baked Cauliflower, Roasted Sweet Potatoes & White Potatoes, Green Beans, & Roles.


I love stuffing. and saying that I only have it 3 or 4 times a year. Normally only holidays. All those carbs are better left to just a few times a year. But I have been adding extras to the carbs lately. Instead of just plain stove top stuffing. Last year I added Celery. This time Lightlife Vegan sausage. Be careful when you purchase you stuffing. Alot of stuffings have chicken, turkey, clam or pork in them. So make sure to get a brand that doesn't. Watch out for milk additives too. I can find stuffing but regular bread crumbs normally have milk & egg listed.

Vegan Sausage Stuffing

1- Light Life Vegan Sausage
4- Servings Stuffing Bread of choice
Veg Broth
Vegan Butter
Olive oil

Heat olive oil in a skillet. Cook the light life sausage while breaking it up into small pieces about the size of the stuffing. Brown & set aside.
I make mine in the microwave normally. Even though our bag doesn't give instructions for the Microwave. I use the bread & broth measurements on the bag. I Put the Veg Broth & a Table spoon or 2 of butter into the microwave till it boils. Bring out and add the bread stuffing. Mix well make sure it is all wet and that there is enough moisture to make it soft. Then pop it back into the Microwave for a few more minutes. After taking it from Microwave place the Casserole lid over it to keep the moisture in to soak into the bread.


Baked Cauliflower

Whole Head Cauliflower
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Garlic- Optional

Preheat oven to 350F
Cut up the whole head of cauliflower into bite size pieces around the same size.
Place in a large bowl and drizzle with enough oil to coat all florets. Add your salt & pepper. I add garlic by just crushing a few cloves and throwing them in. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until soft and lightly browned. I also turn it at least once so it can brown more.

Baked Sweet & White Potatoes

2 Sweet Potatoes
2 White Potatoes
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Herbs- Optional

Preheat oven to 350

Chop Potatoes into bite size wedges. Place in bowl with drizzled Olive Oil to coat. Add salt & Pepper. Add the herb of choice. I used Oregano. Turn at least once or twice. To help brown. Bakes for about 1 hour. ( These are actually very pretty when cooked. Don't look at he blurry picture and think it wasn't. Just a crappy photo :) oops. )

We had a good time at my parents house. I wish we would do it like once a month. Instead of just on Holidays. I think it would be nice to sit that time aside.

John & I
My Mom & Dad
My Lil Sis Chey & My Mom
Tofurky
My Plate
Johns Plate, My little Sister even made everyone place cards.
The scraps the go to the Chickens. They work as my compost crew... :) Waste not ! They even played chicken football with the apple ends. What I call chicken foot ball. Where one grabs the best piece that every one else wants. And then the chase is on! Someone else grabs it! Then the hen tries to tackle the rooster. Its very cute. I will have to video it next time.

No comments: