Monday, March 22, 2010

Love is in the air

Yesterday we were outside trying to get a few things done and the chickens were making all kind of noise. Although we used to sit outside last summer near the coop I never noticed what I noticed yesterday. But then again last year they hadn't really started mating and laying eggs till August & September. But there is a little mating ritual. I am always irritated that the roosters will not leave our hens alone. But as I watched them yesterday the hens give the roosters signals. And then they play hard to get. They stir up the whole yard running around and freaking out being chased by the roosters but that was after the gave a mating stance. I'm not saying it is always like that. But it was interesting to learn.

After being out there for a while listening to all the commotion John cracked a joke. He said that we needed to take pictures of all the chickadee couples mating and make a collage to put up online with "Me so horny, O me so horny" playing in the back ground.. lol. We both got a good laugh from that... :)

This morning I went outside to lock the chickadees outside so they would leave Lil Banti & her eggs alone.. (4 days left and counting) and found that one of our chickens had laid a soft "Jelly" like egg. There were also 2 other eggs that were fine. Really strange to find that many eggs not eaten by the chickens. But I brought the jelly egg inside to take pictures and show John. They must need more calcium. We give them calcium all the time. I guess we are going to have to get a separate feeder just for calcium. This can lead to another episode of being egg bond so I hope she eats enough calcium before that happens. Have you noticed that the chickens have taken over this blog. I am going to have to start cooking again. I haven't been feeling very well for the last month with what I think is a kidney infection. Been putting off going to the Doctor. But if it doesn't go away by the end of the week I think I might actually have too.

No comments: