Saturday, December 5, 2009

Almond Breeze Brand Milk- Review & How to Make homemade almond milk



I have recently been collecting coupons and when I was at the grocery store stumbled upon 2 coupons for Almond Breeze which is made by Blue Diamond. It was already on sale for $2.99 and I used a .75 coupon that got doubled and a 1.00 off coupon. So I basically got the half gallon for .49 cents. Awesome right. They are also running a promotion right now for a printable .50 cent coupon on their website. Well I should have picked up a couple more because it is awesome! love the taste and texture so much. I have only put up with soy milk because I don't really like rice milk. But I never drink it straight and I really wasn't big on cereal with soy. But I still ate the cereal. But now I enjoy it! I even drink the almond milk straight! WOW... We have been missing out. It is a very smooth and creamy milk and just plain good. If you are used to drinking or using cow's milk this has a thicker quality like cows milk that soy milk doesn't have. I have only tried the original though. I will be trying the chocolate next time I go to the grocery store. I really can't wait to get some more. Ours only lasted a day! Definitely try this product! It is so very Yummy. I can't rate this high enough!

A while ago I was thinking about making almond milk. When I worked at a small Vegetarian owned store a few years ago. The owners made their own almond milk. But I never got to try it. I looked around a while back to price almonds and then decided it would be around the same price as just buying it made. Here it is normally around $4 for half a gallon that isn't organic. (Almond Breeze) I can make organic for around 3.50 to 4 dollars for 6 cups. So I have been thinking about trying to make it. It is very simple to make. There are tons of recipes online. Plus I love the fact that you can use the pulp for cookies, any thing with almonds or dry it and make almond flour. So you get a couple products not just the milk. So I do have some almonds for baking but I think I am going to soak some tonight and make some almond milk since we have already ran out. Can't wait to try it.


Almond milk instructions.
Basically you measure out 2 cups or 10oz of almonds and soak them over night. Then you drain them and put them in the blender with 6 cups of water. You blend it all together with a high speed blender. Some people like it plain others add some dates for a sweeter end product. After it has been blended you poor it through cheese cloth or something similar to remove the almond pulp. Then you have the milk. It will keep for 3-7 days. Then either freeze the almond pulp for cookies and such or dry it and make flour!all done.

I will post pictures and how it tastes or if it tastes similar to store bought almond milk later!

No comments: