Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Black Bean Calzones on Earthday

Yes, I have finally decided to cook something new and blog about it. I have not been one much for black beans. So lately I have been trying to put them in my diet more. Plus I wanted to come up with something new for J's lunch. These are very good. I even made two batches. I got the first batch to spicy for J so I made him a batch w/o any spices and with pinto beans instead of black beans. His family is originally from India and I would think he would be accustomed to spicy foods. But he just can't take it at all! He said he would rather have something he could enjoy on his palate instead of something he has to suffer through! lol.
So here is a quick & easy Black bean pie recipe that you can use for a double crusted 9" pie pan or for 6 to 8 calzones.




First I used the Calzone Recipe from The Garden of Vegan (PG 175). I set it aside for about 1 hour 15 min to raise.

Pie/ Calzone Filling ( Just kinda used what I had around)

1/2 -1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 Onion, Finally chopped
2 Green Pepper (Red would be nice too), Chopped
1 (15oz) can black beans
2 cups Frozen Corn
2/3- 1 Cup Salsa
Spices listed below make this a little warm. So use half if you don't like warm/ spicy foods.
3/4 tsp Chili Powder
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper

Saute onions in oil till translucent. Add peppers saute till tender. Add all the other ingredients and let simmer for about 10 min. You don't want this to be liquidy. It will make your calzones soggy. Back at 450 for about 15 min.





HAPPY EARTH DAY EVERYONE !!!!

1 comment:

Ash Green said...

Thank you so much for such an informative piece of information :)
If anyone interested similar one's have a look here
Bestreviewtop

Thanks