Thursday, April 8, 2010

Garden Planning is turning into plants

Planted my garden starters about 8 days ago and I am starting to see the first plants. So excited yet again this year to have the starters sprouting these tiny little plants that will feed us this summer. Hopefully...

In the past I haven't had the best luck with starters so my fingers are crossed and I will watch them vigilantly so they will hopefully make it this year.

In the 8 days since planting they have already had drowning rain early one morning when I was still sleeping and fought the strong gusts of wind that has just brought in a cold front. Yuck... The rain happened a couple days after planting the tiny seeds into there little starter holes. Problem was it drenched them and I am not sure if the seeds stayed in their own little starter holes. Ha ha right... So now we just have to wait and see what comes up and in what starter packs so I can re- separate them. The wind also took its affects on my poor, little, defenseless, starters. My whole Red & white swiss chard starter blew away... Stupid wind. Now the warmth of the sun is hiding behind this cold front and I will have to bring them in tonight. But hopefully they are going to be ok. But I am already seeing green. Some of the cosmos, lettuce, scallions, tomatoes, and a couple other things were peaking out of the soil. :) Some of those were laying on top of the soil from the rain beating down so hard. So I had to put them back into the soil. But still excited :)




I got a couple more packets of seeds to plant. I am going to plant Organic mammoth sunflowers & Organic Autumn Beauty sunflowers both for the chickens. Plus I picked up some Cat Grass seed for the kitties but I am assuming it is just over priced wheat.. I guess we will see once it grows.

No comments: