Monday, December 8, 2008

Tempeh Veggie Pot Pies

Well today I decided it had been to long since I had made veggie pot pies. So I cracked down and finally made 6 small pot pies. They turned out GREAT! and were also very very simple to make!
I just used the stuff I had laying around. Although I do love grocery shopping so I keep a fully stocked pantry most of the time. So If you don't have some of these ingredients don't worry about it. Add what you want and /or have. This is just a basic one. You could make one with like black beans, corn, tomatoes, and spices. That would be awesome too.

Ingredents- I used
4 Organic carrots- chopped
1 or 2 cups Frozen organic green beans
Bag Frozen Mixed veggies (corn, carrots, green beans) Because I could not find a bag of corn in my freezer.
1- 12oz can chick peas
1- 12oz can of peas
4 med potatoes
Flex Tempeh- any kind will do ( I use this to add protein and add another texture) chopped into small pieces
6 cups or a little more of No-chick broth or Veggie broth
oil flour

Make a nice simple Vegan pie crust like from Sarah Kramers book The garden of vegan.

Ok so simple....

Put a couple tablespoons of oil in your big pot. Throw in carrots to caramelize a little and soften. Thrown in all the veggies except the potatoes. Pour the no chick broth in. About 6 cups. more if you want more broth. Throw in the potatoes & tempeh about 15 minutes before your ready to put the mixture into the pie. The tempah will take on the flavor of the no chick broth. If you have some kind of vegan "chick" powder of bullion cubes use a couple of those if you want a little more flavor. Don't forget salt and pepper to taste. Don't worry about the time when your making this I won't hurt anything. Just make sure the potatoes get done but not overly so. To make the broth thick right before you get ready to place into pie crust mix 4 or 5 table spoons oil oil to 4 to 5 tablespoons flour. Make sure there are no clumps! This is your rue... Take your spoon and drizzle a couple table spoons into your pot and then stir add some more if needed till the broth thickens to the consistency you want. Make sure its not like water still though. It takes about 20 25 minutes for the small pies. Your just cooking the crust. The veggies are already fully cooked. See simple... I know I could have wrote it in a more simple way sorry....


I make small pot pies for my husbands lunch but you can make this a big one to. It makes alot!

You could also use biscuits instead of crust. I make extra biscuits to because I never make enough crust. Or even make drop biscuits put your filling in a big pan for the oven add the biscuits to the top and let them bake in the oven. I use the biscuit recipe from Sarah Kramers Book as well. Or even make dumplings in the same pot or make in a separate pot so they don't over cook and then add them. That would be great too.

A Dumpling is basically a biscuit boiled.. They are really good
Here is a recipe for Vegan "Buttermilk" Dumplings

No-chick broth or Veg broth- to boil them in

2 Cups flour
2/3 cup soy milk w/ 1 tsp vinagar (mix sepearly so that it can "spoil" the soy milk)
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp Salt 1/4 tsp baking powder add parsley for color - optional

Put the broth in a pot and bring to a boil.
Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients. Just like when making biscuits. No not knead. just fold together. Role out and use a small cookie cutter to cut out small dumplings. Throw in boiling water. and a few minutes later take out. The should be like cooked bread in the center. Soft and plump. Not doughy or puck like. If they are doughy throw back in. If they are like a puck then they are over cooked. I still eat them when I over cook them. I don't care. Thats all....





No comments: