Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Vegan MOFO Day 2- Brings Sausage Gravy with Biscuits & Homemade Pasta Sauce

Biscuits and  Sausage Gravy
Today I had a craving for an old favorite and so I made the vegan version that I have blogged about in the past but everytime I blog about it I end up making a change to the recipe. Here is a link to the Gravy Recipe I posted. The only change I made today was I used Unsweetened almond milk.. It made such a difference that I ate two biscuits and the combo was dellish!! Using the Unsweetened takes the background sweetness that I never liked out of the gravy. Makes it taste almost exactly like the gravy I grew up with.


These biscuits turn out good everytime.
 I always use the Recipe from
Sarah Kramer's book How it all vegan.


Gravy




Homemade Spaghetti Sauce


I have tried many homemade sauces. Some I really liked, problem is I didn't cook those... and others I really haven't liked. Since becoming vegan I have had a really hard time trying to find a pasta sauce that I like the taste of. I don't like sauce that have tons of spices and that way down the tomatoes. So I found 2 new sauce recipes the other night on Allrecipes.com. I decided to try one and ran right out to the store to pick up the one item I didn't have.

This sauce is easy to make.. But prep does take a couple minutes.


Browned the Yves veggie burger, and cooking the veggies down.

I always use my mortar & pestle to grind up all my herbs. I don't like leafy
dry herbs straight into my food. Its just a picky pet peeve of mine.
So the basil and oregano It turned to powder.

Right after grinding all the tomatoes together and adding the powdered spices.
Starting to cook everything together. Smells so yummy.
Right before serving after cooking for about an hour. It looks and tastes really yummy.
 I loved the sauce by its self but I wasn't very found of the peppers and onions.
Maybe if they had been chopped a little smaller. 


Garlic Bread

I love garlic bread with my pasta. But I really don't like that soggy stick in the oven or just let the butter melt bread. I don't like soggy bread at all! I normally use a hard Italian bread but this night all I had was whole wheat sliced bread. Italian bread does have alot better texture.

Smart Balance
Bread Slices
Butter
Powder Garlic
Whats spaghetti without garlic bread.
Links to recipe later...

No comments: