Thursday, August 13, 2009

Taco Burger Roles

I have lived my whole life in WV. And so it will be no surprise that I grew up eating certain WV foods. One of those is peperoni roles. Just bread with peperoni cooked into it. I don't know of another state that makes them but they are a big thing here. I haven't had one in many years. But I have had one made with the Lightlife peperoni. It turned out pretty good. I have also made one with the boca smoked sausages, pepper sauce , and cheese when I used to eat cheese & eggs. But the other day I tried the Simply Organic taco seasoning with Morningstar crumbles.and after it had set in the fridge for a day it kinda reminded me of peperoni for some reason. So I decided to stuff it into a role. They turned out really good. But I didn't let the 2nd raise finish so they turned out a little flat. But they are simple and would be great for a lunch box or travel snack.

Recipe

Makes 7 to 9

1 loaf frozen bread or enough dough to make a loaf
1 packet simply organic taco seasoning
1/2 cup water
1 to 1 & 1/2 packs of morningstar or boca crumbles

Follow instructions on all packets. Then put the burger into the dough and fold around the filling. Grease baking sheet. Follow bread instructions for baking.

Variations:
Light life peperoni
w/ pepper sauce
w/ soy cheese
Burger crumbles
w/ ovean roasted tomatoes
Tofurky sausages
w/ peppers

There are a ton of different things you could try.

No comments: